Re: [imapsync] Issue migrating large mailboxes from FirstClass to Dovecot

From "Phil Pearl (Lobbes)" <phil at zimbra dot com>
Subject Re: [imapsync] Issue migrating large mailboxes from FirstClass to Dovecot
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:23:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gilles,

FWIW, like most Perl modules, you can file bugs and submit patches
to Mail::IMAPClient here:
  https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=Mail-IMAPClient

> Patches suggested for 3.xx:
>
> - User should know without debug that connection were lost
> and reconnect successful.

Typical error checking is available via $imap->LastError, but please
feel free to file bugs in cases where one can not and if you like
suggest how it should be fixed in such cases.

> - Reconnectretry doc: retrying **each** IMAP commands up to X times when an EPIPE
> or ECONNRESET error occurs (was ambiguous for me).

Suggestions to fix the existing documentation?

  "If an IMAP connection sits idle too long, the connection may be closed
   by the server or firewall, etc.  The Reconnectretry parameter, when
   given a positive integer value, will cause Mail::IMAPClient to
   retrying IMAP commands up to X times when an EPIPE or ECONNRESET error
   occurs.  This is disabled (0) by default."

> - User should know how many reconnections were done for a $imap object.
>   Just a global counter: Reconnect_counter() would be good.
>   Nice statistics when migrating, stressing imapsync or imap servers.

This is possible.

> - Update the README file.
> - Update the TODO file.
> - Update the INSTALL file.
> - Or remove them.

Can do... not a high priority but I'll work on it.

> There is only one IGNORE in 3.xx (not taking experimental migrate into account).
> If there is only one way for writing bytes then only one IGNORE is normal.

Right.

> Is migrate still experimental (not to say buggy)?

Experimental, perhaps buggy and probably not used by anyone (just a guess).

Phil