LINUX-BIZ: Chair for Technical Thermodynamics
University institute of Aachen University of Technology, Germany
Research and development facility for combustion processes,
chemical engineering, heat pump systems.
Chair for Technical Thermodynamics uses Linux for the following functions:
- X-Windows terminal (display, keyboard, mouse -- applications run elsewhere)
- X-Windows server (runs applications, possibly exports display)
- Network file server:
- NFS server for other PCs and Unix systems.
- Print server:
- Print spooler using lpd (Unix, NFS clients)
- Modem communications:
- Server answers the phone, provides PPP, SLIP or term logins.
- Office productivity software:
- Document preparation with TeX, LaTeX and derivatives.
- Spreadsheets created with Wingz.
- Other document management.
- Internet client software - mail
- Electronic mail server:
- POP-3 server.
- SMTP mail router.
- Network services provided to local users:
- HTTP (World-Wide Web) server or cache.
- Accepts telnet connections.
- Software development tools:
- C and/or C++
- Bourne, Korn, C or another shell; using sed, awk, grep and similar tools.
Return to Linux-biz page